Can Rabbits Eat Tomatoes? [Fruits, Plants & Leaves]

Tomato is nutritious and one of the favorite items to the rabbit. It contains a lot of vitamin C, so it is beneficial to health. But is it safe for rabbits?

Yes, the rabbit can eat tomatoes like grapes. But there are some limitations here like other vegetables and fruits. Though tomatoes contain a limited amount of sugar than other vegetables and fruits, you should give only the fruit and, obviously, a limited amount.

What Are Tomatoes Actually?

What do you think? Is the tomato a fruit or vegetable?

Possibly it is one of the most confusing questions to you.

Anyway, botanically, rabbits are fruits.

There is a principle of fruits. Fruits are formed from flower and you will get seeds inside the fruit.

So, according to this definition, tomatoes are fruit.

Tomatoes are from the family of Solanaceae. You know, potatoes, eggplants are also from Solanaceae.

So, rabbits are fruit, though many consider tomatoes as vegetables for high nutrition and savory taste.

Nutrition Facts of Tomatoes

Let me clear about the nutrition fact of the tomatoes. I have already mentioned that tomato contains a high amount of vitamin C earlier in this post.

However, tomato contains around 95% of water and the other 5% contains fiber and carbohydrate.

Anyway, let’s have a look at the percentage of nutrients in a 100-gram tomato.

Water95%
Calcium 18 mg
potassium427 mg
phosphorus43 mg
vitamin C24.7 mg
Protein0.9 grams
Carbs3.9 grams
Sugar2.6 grams
Fiber1.2 grams
Fat0.2 grams
Lycopene 2,573µg
Nutrient Facts of Tomato

What Are The Benefits Of Tomato For Rabbits?

You have already got and clear idea of the nutrition fact of tomato.

People eat tomatoes from all around the world for health benefits. We eat a tomato in various forms like raw tomato, tomato in the salad, tomato fry and many other tomato recipes you will find. Moreover, it is straightforward to grow also.

Anyway, there are some benefits of tomato to rabbits.

No chance of dehydration

Rabbit needs unlimited supply of water. You know tomato contains around 95% water. So, tomato prevents the dehydration problem of your rabbits definitely.

Prevent Hypokalemia

Hypokalemia means a low level of potassium in the blood. For the proper functioning of muscle and cells (especially cardiac muscle), potassium is a crucial electrolyte.

Tomato contains a handsome amount of potassium and it prevents Hypokalemia to your bunny.

Well Digestion

Tomato contains almost 5% of fiber. We always advise the rabbit parents to provide fibrous food to their rabbits. Since the stomach of the rabbit is constant, fiber is the most necessary element for digestion to the rabbit. 

Prevent potential disease

Tomato contains different types of nutrients like lycopene.

Recent research shows that lycopene prevents heart disease and helps in the well-functioning of cells.

Can Rabbits Eat Tomato Plants?

A big NO! Don’t provide the tomato plants to your rabbit. Tomato plants contain Tomatine and solanine. Both are poisonous to rabbits.

Though the fruits I mean tomato contains tomatine and solanine, it is in insignificant amount. But the plants and leaves contain a significant amount. 

So, you should give only the fruits to your bunny. Don’t give the tomato plants or leaves to your rabbit.

do rabbits eat tomatoes plants

Can Rabbit Eat the Tomato Seed? 

No, like the tomato leaves and plants, don’t give the fruits with seeds. Tomato seeds are poisonous to your rabbit.

It would be better to remove the seeds from the tomato while giving. You could do it easily with the help of a knife.

Can Rabbit Eat The Green Tomato?

Though green tomatoes include a high amount of nutrition, unfortunately, green tomatoes are toxic for rabbits like the leaves, plants, flowers, seeds and vines.

So, please don’t allow your rabbit to eat a green tomato.

Risk Factor of Eating Excessive Tomato

If your bunny eats the excess amount of tomato or eats the green, vine, seeds, flowers, or tree, she/he may face a common illness like diarrhea, bloating and stomach pain.

Anyway, these pieces of advice are not constant and applicable for every bunny. This is general information.

You may find the exception of this advice. You will find some rabbits that are eating all the parts of the tomato and they feel well.

So, it depends on your bunny also. But as a cautious bunny parent, only provide the ripe fruit and in a limited amount to your rabbit.

Summary of the Can Rabbits Eat Tomato

Whatever you offer a treat to your bunny hay is the only recommended food item. Yes, you could offer to treat like different vegetables and fruits to your bunny occasionally. It will bring a variety in their diet. These are good sources of nutrients also.

Tomato is no exception from this general rule. You could offer only the ripe fruits to your bunny.

Leave a Comment

19 − two =

0 Shares
Tweet
Share
Share
Pin